Saturday 4 October 2014

 
What is the title of a book of fiction that you have, or are currently reading?

Over the summer I have been reading novels by Daphne du Maurier.  She is an author I have known about for years and really enjoyed both Hitchcocks films ‘The Birds’ and ‘Rebecca’. Finally I have got round to reading the books. She is a fantastic author, I now have completed ‘The House On The Strand’  ‘Jamaca Inn’ and ‘Rebecca’.  The latter in particular is a masterful piece of work, a haunting psychological drama.

What is the title or topic of a book of non-fiction that you have or are currently reading?

I am a big fan of non fiction.  I read a lot of biographies. Over the summer I read a very interesting one of Charles Darwin, in particular it focused on the 5 year voyage of The Beagle and  the increasingly strained relationship he had with the captain of the ship Fitzroy. Then I read a fascinating account of the life and work of Albert Einstein. 

What is the last live performance, music, drama or dance, you attended?

Back in July I attended WOMAD for the second year running.  I had a really good time, the weather was baking hot, in some ways it was a little too hot. But the worst thing at festivals is when the weather is cold and wet, so you cannot have everything.  The food is very good, which is a bonus too, saw lots of really good bands but just don't ask me to name them……

What is the title of the last film you saw? Cinema, online, DVD/Blu-ray etc.

The last film I went to see was ‘American Hustle’ which now must be about a year ago! Anyway I thought it was a really good yarn and very well acted.  The opening hair toupee scene was funny and it got better from then on. Overall if you have not seen it yet I would thoroughly recommend it.

How often do you read a newspaper? (Which one? Online or physical?)

I read ‘The Guardian’ online, everyday. I also dip into the Daily Telegraph and the The Independent.  I won’t break the paywall to access The Times or The Sun so once Murdoch put the wall up they dropped off my reading list. Sometimes however I will buy a physical newspaper on a Sunday and if I do it is always The Sunday Times and this is because I am a sucker for the AA Gill Columns on both TV and Food. He really is a teriffic writer.

Which Art Gallery / Museum / Exhibition did you last visit?
The students have been doing games related work with Ipswich Museum, so that was the last one I visited. I urge all students to pay it one.  It has some very interesting exhibits as well as the very famous Wolly Mamouth.  Again, earlier in the summer we made a game for the Anglo Saxon Village at West Stow and I made a couple of visits to the site to set the project up.

How many hours a week do you spend playing video games?

A few, not really that many, perhaps 3 or 4, mostly over the last couple of months I have been playing idle games in order to get up to speed with the current project that is being carried out by the first and second year groups.  When I do play games they tend to be casual ones, simple puzzle games.

How many hours a week do you spend playing games other than video games?

Not as many as I would like. We tend to gather and play family games on a Sunday Evening.  Most often we play Carcassonne or Settlers of Catan or Enchanted Forest, or King of Tokyo or Smallworld or Ticket to Ride, or we will play other ‘Parlour Games’ like Articulate  or quizzes.

2 comments:

  1. The thing I find interesting about Darwin is the wide and varied diet he enoyed aboard The Beagle: I'm not sure if he ate more animals than he brought back, but I think he got through quite a few turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,

    It looks like your blog hasn't been updated in a while.

    Don''t forget to click the orange "publish" button to make the new posts appear!

    ReplyDelete